November 12, 2017

Ode to a Deer

In my last post, I mentioned that we had a bit of an adventure on our trip from Texas to Missouri for my grandma's funeral. Here's the scoop!

We left work on Friday and got on the road around 4:30. Our plan was to make it to Joplin, MO that night, and then finish up the rest of it the next day. Our plan got a bit waylaid.

Around 11:00 pm, on a fairly deserted tollway, we hit a deer that was in the middle of the highway. Going around 75 MPH. He was suddenly just there, and we couldn't avoid him. Chris didn't even have time to put his foot on the brake. We hit and the impact was on the front and hood...he ended up hitting the windshield and landing in the middle of the road. All of the lights on the car's electrical system started going haywire, and the car just shut completely down.

After checking to make sure we were both uninjured, we got out of the car and frantically tried to figure out what to do. We were on a long road trip, in an unfamiliar city. Late at night on a road with minimal cars. Oi. First, Chris called 911...he was told that since our accident didn't involve another vehicle, they were unable to help. So they transferred us to a tow truck company. After talking with them, Chris hung up and we stood there waiting.

In the meantime, about 6 additional cars ran over the deer that we had hit, since it was in the middle of the road. The first one ended up circling back around to see what she had hit, and then she pulled over to make sure we were ok. Her name was Sherri, and she was a very nice woman...she decided she would wait there with us until the tow truck arrived, because our flashers weren't working (the electrical system had shut down). About twenty minutes later, the tow truck arrived and he got us loaded onto his truck. He offered to deliver us to a motel nearby, which was also near the tow lot he was taking our car to. We took him up on that offer and luckily got a room at the hotel.

Once we got settled in, I called the insurance company and documented our claim...then we tried to get some sleep.

The next morning, I called the rental car company and they picked us up. They put us in a Jeep Cherokee and we continued on our journey to St. Louis. The insurance company took care of towing our car over to a Ford dealership so that the insurance adjuster could estimate the damage.

Turns out they decided to total the now we are dealing with getting the claim finalized and paying off the Fusion. In the meantime, yesterday we went and purchased a new car. We decided to go back to a small SUV, and I am excited -- we got a Ford Edge, in white. It drives so nice, I love it!!

If you'd like to see photos of our wrecked Fusion, or the new Edge, click on my Facebook or Instagram links on the right to go see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deer - they are one of my pet peeves. Yes, we have taken their land but be smarter deer - please. Just tonight almost home and in the dark standing on the side of the road - an luckily stayed there - big deer just watching the cars go by. And remember they hit us, we do not hit them! PTS

Post a Comment