December 26, 2017

Reflecting on 2017 & My Goals

2017...to be honest, I won't really be too sad to see this year come to an end in a few days. It was a good year overall, but it was pegged with some very sad moments for me. Life feels a lot different without my sweet Fonda and sweet grandma, Flo...I'm still adjusting to the thought of them both being gone. Grief is a weird thing, and has a way of stealing joy...especially when dealing with grief over more than one loved one in a very short amount of time. I'm working through it. One good thing, though, from 2017 is that Aspen has returned to our family, and for that we are all grateful!

A brief recap on how I did with my goal to SIMPLIFY this year...

1. Bible Reading -- carry on with this goal from 2016 and complete my chronological reading plan. I made it about halfway through the plan and will work my way through the second half to complete the entire Bible by the end of 2017. Sigh. I didn't make it much farther through my chronological plan this year. It seems like there is always something else to do or read and I never get around to making this a priority. I need to. I struggle with the language in the Bible, and get stuck in all the history and the kings, etc. So I have a hard time sticking with it. I may jump ahead to the New Testament and get that whole thing read, before delving back in to the Old Testament.

2. Simplify HOME -- many things fall under this category, including: mega decluttering in each area of the house; selling or donating items we no longer need; preparing our house for selling; selling our house and paying off ALL of our debt; downsizing our living space. This goal, I am happy to report, was accomplished in 2017 with gusto!! And it makes me super, super happy! We decluttered and sold so much of our stuff! We sold our 3,000 square foot house on an acre of land and moved into a 39' 5th wheel travel trailer! It feels sooooo good to not be drowning in STUFF. We paid off most of our debt! This has created such a freedom for us, and it is a lovely space to be in. GOAL SUCCESS!

3. Simplify PASSIONS -- determine what I really love to do, and where my God-given talents really reside. Then figure out ways to make those discoveries a bigger part of my life, everyday. Do what I love. Remove the rest. I am still working on this one...it's a tough goal for me. Why is it so hard to determine what I'm passionate about? My brain freezes up when I try to think about it. I'll figure it out one day!

4. Simplify HEALTH -- stop stressing over eating; do what feels right and choose healthy as often as possible while continuing the learning process. Pare down my fitness routine to cardio, weights, and stretching -- create a simple sweat plan and stick to it. I did a few Whole30s (and even a Whole60!) in 2017...I always feel GREAT when I'm doing one and they get me in line and feeling good. But I always yo-yo back again and I am so tired of that. I am either 100% in or 100% out. I need to find a happy middle ground, but that is not my personality. Something to still work on for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment