April 22, 2018

The Ironman Taper & A Fun Announcement!

Hello there! Another week is drawing to a close...

THE TAPER
The Ironman taper is in full swing. You may not know what the taper is. After six months of extremely intense, very long workouts, the training plan begins to wind down within the week or two prior to the BIG RACE. So, this week the taper started. Instead of a 6 hour workout on Saturday, he did 2 hours. Big difference! The coming week will taper even more, with a few very light days right before race day. Chris is full of energy and getting a little (a lot) antsy...he is ready to get this race going!

We leave Wednesday evening after work, and will drive part of the way. We'll finish driving on Thursday and he'll get checked in for the race. Thursday and Friday will be pretty low-key, and then Saturday morning is the race.

It will be a fun day with friends, too! QLefty is doing the race as well, so his family will be there to spectate with me! Andrea, Liam, Lev and Ruthie! We also have our sweet friends, Jordan and Lauren, driving down from Joplin, MO to spectate, too! And, Chris has another online friend, Ruben, who is doing the race, so we'll get to meet him and spectate with his wife and two kiddos. Lots of fun!

A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
At Chris' last race (the Ironman Texas 70.3 in Galveston), he got a qualifying slot to the 70.3 Championship race!

The process is similar to having to qualify for the Boston Marathon with a certain time...however, there is an added level in that there are only a specific amount of slots available per AGE GROUP per race, and so it depends on the others in your age group and if they decide to take a slot and where your time puts you in the line up. It was very interesting to witness! And it was so exciting when Chris received one of the slots!!! I'm about to post some photos of that experience on Instagram, so be sure to check them out! I don't know that I have ever seen him soooo excited! This was one of his goals that he set for himself for 2018...and it is so amazing to watch him reaching those goals!!

Oh! And did I mention? The championship race in in South Africa!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, we will be taking a little trip late August/early September to that beautiful country! We are so excited!!!

THE WEEKEND
We had a really nice and relaxing weekend here...Saturday was quite low-key, and then we had dinner here in our little town at the Mexican restaurant. We've discovered that they actually have amazing hamburgers there! Who would've guessed? One of the best burgers I've had. So we enjoyed that, and then a low-key evening at home.

Sunday is chores and workout...and then I am meeting my bestie, Kim, for a movie! We are trying to do one movie a month because I have so many movie gift cards to use and Chris never really enjoys going. This month, we are going to see "I Can Only Imagine", the story about the Mercy Me band. It should be a really good story. Looking forward to that time with my girl.

THE WEEK AHEAD
Whew. I'm already pretty tired from the upcoming week and it hasn't even started!! It will be one of the craziest we've had in awhile.

Monday evening, I am going to the Rangers baseball game in Dallas with my department...flying there in the company jet and enjoying dinner and the game. Tuesday is my birthday and also the big shareholder meeting at work. We'll attend that, have lunch there, and I will also be receiving my 15 year award (I've actually been there 16 years, but my anniversary is on the cut-off date so I get awards a year after). Chris also has a work dinner Tuesday evening. Wednesday, Ocho will be getting his staples out, and then we are leaving for The Woodlands after work. That's a lot to squeeze into three days!! Then we are off to the race!!

So, there you have it...a full update!


No comments:

Post a Comment