March 05, 2006

old

Man...some things really pop up out of nowhere and make you realize just how old you're getting. And you know what? That sucks!

On Saturday evening, I attended a play with my friend Marie and her husband Wayne...their son, Josh, had the lead role. He's in his first year of college, and away from home for the first time. We had a very enjoyable evening, it was great getting to chat with Marie and Wayne, and the play was really good.

Afterwards, we went to check out Josh's dorm room...he lives with three other guys, and they were bragging about how clean the room was. The room was tiny, had three beds crammed into it, a poker table, a couch, a drum as a coffee table...it was definitely a boy's room, and was definitely way too crammed. Just being in a dorm room again brought back all of my college memories...but the thing that really made me feel old was just watching Josh and his friends interact.

They all had that carefree attitude...the "I've got the world by the ass" attitude, the "I know everything" attitude...the "I'm in love for the first time" attitude...it was so strange to be in the midst of all that again. The world hasn't touched those kids yet. They're still getting money from mom and dad, they don't know anything about responsiblity or the ugly world, the whole world is laying ahead of them. It all just made me feel old beyond my years. They've got so many decisions to make about their future...will they make the right choices?

Did I make the right choices? Did you? It's all just so overwhelming sometimes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

stop thinking too much!

Jackie said...

You DO think too much....but I totally get where you are coming from. Just last week, I realized that the little round mirror I use while fixing my hair, putting on makeup, etc. is really old. I'VE HAD IT FOR 20 YEARS!!!! My Mom got it for me the spring after I turned 13. Oh my.....I don't feel old enough to have had anything for 20 years!!!

Kim :) said...

Things like that do make you look back and feel old! Glad that you were able to go with Marie and her husband!

Post a Comment