March 07, 2006

click

When does it click? At what age does a young person:

:: become responsible
:: understand what effects will come of his/her actions
:: know when people need to talk & how to listen to them
:: show respect to their elders
:: think of others before themselves
:: become mature
:: become cleanly
:: have a better understanding that life does suck sometimes

I think back on my life, and wonder when this click happened for me. I think I was probably 24 or 25. Isn't that sad? That is when everything clicked for me, even though I had some of those things beforehand. But that is really when my better understanding of life happened. And it all just meshed together and suddenly I felt like an ADULT.

I wonder a lot about when certain things will click with Aspen...when will she understand what it means to be responsible? When will she respect her elders? Etc etc...it will be interesting to see those changes happen. It will be interesting to see, when she's say 25, it all click together into one mature adult. It's hard to picture now.

It's hard to picture her in junior high. It's hard to picture what she'll be like in high school. At what point are you teaching a child something, and at what point are you taking away part of their natural personality? I'm just at a loss at all of that.


Sometimes I think, well, she's a kid now, and when she gets older she'll like things clean and in their place. She'll be responsible then. But, you know what? There are plenty of adults out there who are completely unresponsible...adults who are NOT worried about having a clean, orderly home. So who is to say that those traits will just come to her?

Whew...I'm just a body full of questions. You guys are right...I think too much!

So...on an end note...here's my synopsis of tonight's American Idol of the girls...

THE FRONT RUNNERS:
:: Mandisa totally rocked...she was awesome! Perfect song for her.
:: Kelly is infectous...love her personality and she can sing pretty darn well too...

:: Katharine was effortless...a great performance...

MIDDLE OF THE PACK, FOR ME:
:: Lisa sounded good...she's just always kind of the same...

:: Melissa chose a great song for her...I like her more each week...
:: Paris was alright...I still think she's a great talent...but tonight was just ok...

MY VOTE TO GO HOME:
:: Kinnik was just way off on her song...haven't liked her much from the beginning...
:: Ayla...she's just kind of awkward, and that song was an awful choice!

So...there!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I can't say there ever was a click for me, I think it was more of a process over time.

As for kids, I completely understand where you're coming from, but I try not to dwell on it too much. I just hope that by example and little lessons every day Kenneth and I can instill the qualities we want
Ashleigh to possess. Like compassion and kindness, but never to the point of being a doormat. To be strong and independent, but not afraid to depend on others. To always be sure of herself and her values, but not to be judgement of other...I could keep going, but you get the idea. I also wonder where the line is between instilling good values in her and letting her find her own way. I've decided to take it one day at a time and do the best I know how. I figure if she knows we love her unconditionally, everything else will fall into place.

Kim :) said...

I understand exactly what you are talking about here! I honestly, and will always say ,that when I felt it click with me, was the day I gave birthday to Kelsey.. That day it all came to gether for me! And I was 21 at the time..

I just hope it doesn't take that long for Kelsey on a lot of issues! I think Jackie is right, we can only take it one day at a time and hope and pray that the lessons and values we try to instill in our children will take hold of them and they will follow our lead.

Your picks for American Idol are right on with my feelings as well! Can't wait to see the guys sing tonight. :)

Post a Comment