May 11, 2006

mother's day

As Mother's Day draws near, I find myself thinking about a lot of things.

About what my mom was like when I was growing up. About what my mom is like now.

About the fact that as I was growing up, I never felt like we "did without". She was a single mother throughout parts of my childhood, and looking back on it all now, I realize how tight money must have been. Yet, I also look back at the photographs from that time, of birthdays and Christmas, and I see piles of gifts. What she must have sacrificed.

About the fact that I was always in dance...tap, ballet, jazz. Now, knowing how much money we fork over for Aspen to do gymnastics, play basketball, etc, I realize what she gave me all those years. Why is it that when we are young, we never realize these things? I guess we're lucky that we realize it at some point, at least. So that we can say thank you, so much, even though a thank you doesn't seem near enough.

About the way my mom was always more of my friend than my mother. I didn't feel like I had to hide things for her. I have no idea how a mother/daughter relationship like that is even formed, but I am so lucky to have experienced it.

About all the ways that we alike, my mom and me...good ways and bad ways...but there is so much of her in me. I am proud to be like her, because I see her as a vibrant, lively, outspoken, proud, beautiful woman...for me to be 1/2 of that is a blessing.

About the fact that no matter what, for the rest of my life, I have someone on my side. Someone who loves me unconditionally. Someone who loves me for ME, for who I am, who wants me to be MORE of that girl

About how I've got the best mom around...someone to depend on...to laugh with...to be proud of...to return the unconditional love...to learn from...to be friends with...to play endless rummy with.... I'm such a lucky girl, to have a mother like that.

Love you, mom...

4 comments:

Kim :) said...

What a wonderful post!! I haven't met your mom (really hope to someday!) But from being around you, I would say your Mom did a heck of a job raising you.

Our Moms do sacrifice so much for us. We just have to do our best to give back to them everything that we can.

Have a super weekend!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE BEING YOUR MOM AND ALWAYS HAVE! AND ALWAYS WILL!. YOU ARE A DELIGHTFUL DAUGHTER AND MAKE BEING A MOM EASY. YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMAN IN YOUR OWN RIGHT. AND I DO TAKE SOME CREDIT FOR THAT. BUT I DID HAVE LOTS OF HELP FROM WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO LOVE YOU AS MUCH AS I DO. JUST BE YOU.
PS YOU MADE ME CRY !!

Jackie said...

You almost made me cry too! I hope and pray I have the kind of relationship with Ashleigh that you and your Mom have. It's so weird; it's still hard to think of myself as a Mom, when I think of Mother's Day, I think of my Mom and Diane...not myself!

SuburbanMom said...

You're so right.

We never realize when we're young. I guess that is the way it should be :)

Post a Comment